The literature review was carried out in order to understand existing findings in relation to barriers to access for ethnic minority older people. It was therefore a thorough, but not exhaustive review. The parameters of the review were designed as follows: Within these areas the review found a significant volume of work. To increase relevance and manageability of the review, only work undertaken during the past 25 years was included.
- Research into service access that had been conducted in Glasgow with BME older people.
- Research into service access in Glasgow with the wider BME population.
- Empirical research into service access that utilised the concept of Candidacy.
- Critical interpretive analyses of existing literature on service access for people from BME backgrounds.
- Critical interpretive analyses of existing literature on the theory of Candidacy.